The Tamil Nadu Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Rules were notified by the Government of Tamil Nadu on 31st December 2009.
The Rules lay down:
- Action plan for protection of life and property of senior citizens
- Procedure for filing application for maintenance by senior citizens/parents
- Limit of maximum maintenance allowance
- Prescribed procedure for notice to the opposite party
- Procedure in case of non-appearance by the opposite party
- Steps to be taken for impleading children or relatives
- Procedure in case of admission of claim
- Procedure for conciliation
- Duties and powers of the District Collector
- Procedure for filing appeal with the Appellate Tribunal
- Scheme for management of old age homes for indigent senior citizens
- State council and district committees of senior citizens
- Norms for physical facilities and operational standards for old age homes.