On 27th November 2011, The Puducherry Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Rules were notified vide G.O. Ms. No. 32/2011-Wel.(SW-V) for the union territory of Puducherry (the erstwhile Pondicherry).
The Rules lay down:
- Procedure for filing application for maintenance by senior citizens/parents
- Prescribed procedure for notice to the opposite party
- Procedure in case of non-appearance by the opposite party
- Procedure to be followed in case of admission of claim
- Steps to be taken for impleading children or relatives
- Procedure for conciliation
- Limit of maximum maintenance allowance
- Procedure for filing appeal with the Appellate Tribunal
- Scheme for management of old age homes for indigent senior citizens
- Duties and powers of the District Magistrate
- Action plan for protection of life and property of senior citizens
- Constitution of state council and district committees of senior citizens
- Norms for physical facilities and operational standards for old age homes.