Donations to Helpage India make a world of difference to scores of needy elderlies in the country. One feels overwhelmed to realize that even a small extended hand can bring tremendous relief to a destitute, elderly, dependent soul.
Take a look at how last years’ funds (2008) have helped Helpage India create a difference in the lives of more than a million:
- 36,397 elderly were able to regain normal vision
- 14,269 destitute and poor elderly received monthly financial assistance
- 6,366 free physiotherapy treatments helped many to resume essential daily chores like cleaning and bathing
- 9,68,462 free treatments with medicines were delivered at doorstep through their mobile age care programme
- countless others have benefitted through their advocacy for elderly rights and entitlements.
Age Care Programmes
These programmes include initiatives in areas like Senior Citizen Homes, Mobile Medicare Units, Helplines, etc.
- More than 253 Old Age Homes and 135 Day Care Centres in the country are supported by Helpage India.
- 55 Mobile Medicare Units help reach out health care services to areas where such facilities are not available. Each MMU is equipped with a qualified doctor, social worker and a pharmacist to dispense free treatment and medicines to the needy elderlies.
- A Helpline each in Delhi, Chennai and Bangalore operates for elderlies in distress. If need be then help from Police, Hospitals and Old Age Homes is also made available through these lines.
- Restoration of vision is another major area where Helpage India provides assistance. It usually sponsors upto 30,000 cataract surgeries every year, helping these elderlies reduce their dependence on others.
- Helpage India has helped more than 17,000 elderlies to be adopted under its ‘Sponsor a Grandparent’ programme. This initiative stems from its partnership with 200 NGOs across the country.