Senior citizens are increasingly becoming victims of harassment in domestic disputes. Major reasons for their exploitation are property and family issues:
• Harassment for signature to leave the rights of land, house or property
• Harassment by abandoning them or forcing them to leave the house
• Refusal to provide them with medical treatment
• Not allowing them to meet grand children
• Disputes in succession of property
With an increasing number of disputes requiring legal intervention, more and more senior citizens are facing hardships in their retiring years. In an attempt to mitigate their hardships, the Pune District Legal Services Authority (PDLSA) of the District and Sessions court has decided to provide Senior Citizens with lawyers who will handle any civil, domestic or criminal cases.
- Senior citizens will not have to pay a single penny as the authority will pay the expenses depending on how genuine the case is.
- PDLSA will pay lawyers Rs 1,200 per hearing to fight these cases.
- Senior citizens have also been exempted from court fee stamp duty.
PDLSA has appealed to senior citizens to contact it on 020-25534881 or at their office located on first floor of the new building in Shivajinagar district court premises between 11 am to 5 pm. The senior citizens can take the telephone number of panel lawyers from the PDLSA.
Senior citizens who wish to avail legal aid in Pune may contact:
Pune District Legal Services Authority
District Court Building, Pune