Government of India gives financial assistance (grants / funds) to NGOs who run Homes for the Elderly (Old Age Homes) in India. This grant-in-aid is to provide food, shelter, care, recreation facilities, etc. to the inmates of these Homes.
To become eligible for receiving grant-in-aid there should be a minimum of 25 destitute older persons in the Old Age Home. If the home is larger in size (say for 150 or 75 or 50 beneficiaries), the grant-in-aid for maintenance of such old age homes is sanctioned on a proportionate basis.
The break up of maximum funds provided by Government for operation and maintenance of such homes is 90% of the amount specified in the given table. The balance of 10% of the cost is to be borne by the NGO / Old Age Home itself.
1) The Non-governmental voluntary organization should be a registered body, under an appropriate Act so that it gets a corporate status and a legal personality and a group liability is established for its activities;
2) It should be registered either under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 or relevant State Societies Registration Act and has already been working for atleast two years; or a Public Trust registered under any law for the time being in force or a charitable company licensed under Section 525 of Companies Act, 1958.
3) It should have been registered for a minimum period of 2 years but in the case of the North Eastern region, J&K, desert areas and under serviced / under-represented areas, this condition of 2 years will not be applicable. In other deserving cases, the condition of 2 years may be relaxed with the approval of the Secretary (SJ&E) on case-to-case basis.
4) The Organization shall have a properly constituted managing body with its powers, duties and responsibilities clearly defined and laid down in a written Constitution. It shall have an appropriate administrative structure and a duly constituted managing/ executive committee.
5) The organization is initiated and governed by its own members on democratic principles.
6) The aims and objects of the organization and programmes in fulfillment of those aims and objects are specifically laid down.
7) The Organization shall not run for profit to any individual or a body of individuals. The Organization should possess proven credentials and capabilities to handle such projects.
› Funding Agencies in India for NGOs (Grants)
› Old Age Homes in India
› Old Age Homes in Delhi NCR
› Helpage India Donations – help millions
› Coming up, 603 homes for India’s elderly destitutes
› No funds for old age home – Second phase of construction stalled