Old Age Homes in Kolkata

Heres another one in our series on NGOs… a list of Old Age Homes in Kolkata, the erstwhile Calcutta in India.

Ananda Ashram
26, S.R. Das Road, Kalighat
Kolkata – 700026
Phone: +91-33-24660318
Mobile: +91-9830284526
Email:  navoday_anandaashram@yahoo.co.in

Adorations Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
Bridha Ashram (Home for The Aged)
Krishnagar, Nadia

Asha Niketan
Sukantanagar, Sector IV
Salt Lake City, Block N
Kolkata, West Bengal 700098
Phone:  +91-33-28124624, 24711599
Email:  ashiwb66@yahoo.com

Association for Social Health in India (ASHI)
Salt Lake City

Phone: +91-33-24723616, 24739647

Cheshar Homes India
CF-149, Salt Lake
Kolkata – 700064
Phone: +91-33-23215038

Dinantey I
Madhyamgram, Bidhan Pally (Near Murgir Poultry)
North 24 Parganas

Kolkata – 700047
Phone: +91-33-24712653

Nabanir
1/2, Shyam Basu Road , Chetla
Kolkata – 700001
Phone: +91-33-24796078

Nirmal Hriday (Missionaries of Charity)
251, Kalighat Road
Kolkata – 700026
Phone: +91-33-24644223

Ramakrishna Math (Old Age Home for Men)
59, Motilal Gupta Road

46/2, Deshbandhu Road (W), Alambazar
Kolkata – 700035
Phone: +91-33-25777600

St. Joseph’s Home
2, A.J.C. Bose Road
Kolkata – 700020

St. Vincent’s Home  (only for women)
68, Diamond Harbour Road, Khidderpore
Kolkata – 700023
Phone: +91-33-24497568

Tollygunge Home
186-E, Netaji Subhas Bose Road
Kolkata – 700040
Phone: +91-33-24710707

Women’s Co-ordinating Council (WCC)
1/2, Shyam Bose Road, Alipore H.O.
Kolkata – 700027
Phone: +91-33-24797329

Related Reading

Grants (funds) for Old Age Homes in India (2008-09)
Old Age Homes in India
Old Age Home in Allahabad
Old Age Homes in Delhi NCR
Old Age Homes in Haryana
Old Age Homes in Himachal Pradesh
Old Age Homes in Mumbai
Old Age Homes in Punjab
Old Age Homes in Rajasthan
Old Age Homes in Uttar Pradesh & Uttarakhand

Also Read

Elder Abuse in India – a case of Human Rights violations
NGOs working for welfare of Senior Citizens in Delhi
Benefits, Concessions and Schemes for Senior Citizens in India
The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007

Comments

1. IN 1920 I HAD A RELATIVE A CLEMANTINA MCCARTHY WHO WAS AN INMATE AND DIED.AND WAS BURIED THERE.
    IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET ANY DETAILS ,
    WAS THERE ANY RELATIVES . IT WAS MOVING TO HEAR OF HER CIRCUMSTANCES,

2. IT WAS ST JOSEPHS CALCUTTA

3. thanks for providing all the addresses but if children give lil bit more respect to their parents…thn there will be no need of any old age home

4. mirra aggarwal says:

my mother needs to stay in old home in kolkata. can you guide me

5. Jayasri Hart says:

We don’t need “homes” but “communities,” where senior residents make their own decisions about how to run it. Adult children and grandchildren can and will happily get involved if the parents want it, but ultimately it is the seniors who own the home. If any of the above institutions fits this description, I would like to support it in any way I can.

6. Dear Mira ,
    There is a newly comissioned old home by Helpage India at Chetla , Kolkata . When I visited it during Puja, it had 5 members only . Women of the age group 60-70 can apply. They have to be literate .
    It was nice cosy place

7. Ruprekha Chowdhury says:

Dear Janice,

Your account of your relative being sheltered at St. Joseph’s Home is very moving. I am a grad student currently writing my doctoral disseratation on elderly women living in old age homes in Kolkata. Would you be able to provide a basic history on the first old age home considered to be established in Kolkata? Also, would you be able to narrate your story about your relative, particularly your first hand experience with St. Joseph’s Home, via email? That would be truly helpful indeed.

My hunch matches yours–it could be no other institution other than Little Sisters of the Poor. But i just wanted to be doubly sure, since i put these as ethnographic accounts in my dissertation chapter.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

SIncerely,
    Ruprekha

8. In researching my ancestry i found a gt,gt, great grandfather Washington McCarthy married a Clemantina Fox in Meerut. in 1862, in my searches i find him dying apart in 1881, and Clemantina dying in The Little Sisters Of The Poor., Also not sure as her name has been recorded as Fox And Jose. Sounds portugese to me. Washington was born in Constantinople of Irish parents, was in the 2nd Dragoons stationed at meerut, took part of the seige of Lucknow, I believe there would be Mccarthys in India today as decendants although most of them returned to the U.K. It is in the indian records i found this information. i.e. marriage certificates, and chilren born in India. . Is this what you wanted. No replys from St Josephs have been received.

Janice McCarthy

9. Udatto Chakravarty says:

Im a man of 38 doing business in Kolkata and Ive got my parents and wife and a daughter. Suddenly I feel to do something for the aged angels of old age homes with my limited means. Plz help.

10. Ruprekha Chowdhury says:

Dear Janice,

Thank you so much for your informative post. Unfortunately, I do not check this website that frequently, hence, my tardy response. My apologies. Would you have an email address where I can write in details about my work and what I am looking for?
    My work took me to various old age homes both public and private, in and around Kolkata. I am trying to locate the first old age home established in Kolkata. Your post about your distant relative attracted my attention and that was when I thought of writing to you. I would really appreciate if we can further our conversation over emails. My dissertation would immensely benefit from your first hand account!

Best,
    Ruprekha

11. DM BHATTACHARYYA says:

I am a casual resident of Ramkrishna Oldage Home in Hooghly district for the last ten years. . I have found that infirm old people who could not disbelief their children/relatives and handed over their life-time savings and property to them (children or relatives) in no time those simple hearted people are thrown to oldage homes. So, my humble advice to the old people who are about to leave their homes to take shelter in oldage home that keep your assets under your control. The assets mainly cash will lookafter you better than your past residence. With regards.

12. ramadevi poddar says:

i have three brother and i m small what heppen ourat ourat ka dushman hota hai koi bhi ma ko rakhna nahi chata please help me kya karu. koi sasta sunder old age ka naumber ya giud kare

13. DM BHATTACHARYYA says:

Dear Ramadeviji,

You may contact phone no:(033) 26860546 of an moderate oldage home just 3km on the western side of Chinsurah station (towards Delhi Road). It will be better to live there away from Gharki ki Dushman. With best wishes.

14. Ishita Mukherjee says:

I plan to take early retirement and would like to give company to the elderly in the old age home. Do one need some basic course to be initiated?
    Though currently I live in Pune, would like to be associated in Kolkata, my home town.

Can anybody please guide me?

Regards, and wish every one, a very happy new year.

15. Dear Ishita Didi,
    I congratulate you for your plan to serve old people after your retirement.Accept me as your Dada (76 years), an widower having one son MA, Bed.HM of a Boys’ school and one daugher MSc,Bed, HM of a Girls’ school. Even then, I am retaining a single room with attached bath) in an Oldage Home in a village in Hooghly district near Chinsurah paying whole years’ charges. Time to time I go there for a fortnight or so. What I have seen there, that many of the residents require compassion which is a lost coin to them.So far I ascertained, there is no such training at your age. You may contact Ramkrishna Mission, Belur Math or ‘Astharag” (near Majherhat bridge) managed by Wivies of Port Commissioners’ Officers Welfare Association.

16. we run 2 homes 1 for d destitute elderly n d other a paid home for those who can afford in Barrackpore west bengal.There r another 38 elderlys on d streets we support,we need d support of like minded people to help our homeless grandmas n grandpas

17. My mother is a desciple of Ramakrishna Math & Mission. Now I want to send her in an old age home under the guidance of Ramakrishna mission. Can you give some idea and help me in this regard.

Please send me prospectus of an old age home near to belur Math.

18. I. R. Chari says:

I am trying to find a comfortable, clean and safe senior citizens’ home (on payment) run preferably by the Ramakrishna Mission or any other known charitable group in and around Kolkata and its suburbs including Belur and Dakshineshwar for my mama (late 70s) and mashi (early 80s) – descendants from a former old Zamindar family – both unmarried and without any dependents.

At present they run their small house and conduct their domestic responsibilities with considerable difficulty. As they have less and less domestic support and as they require periodic medical attention, they need to be in a kindly, caring home where they will be free from their daily domestic chores. Both of them are mobile and can really take care of themselves if only they had someone to look after their everyday needs, like cooking, washing, cleaning, etc. They have both received diksha from the R.K. Mission and therefore would be the most comfortable in an institute run by the Mission.

I and the rest of my mamu and mashi’s family would be most grateful for any information regarding an appropriate place where they can settle peacefully for the rest of their lives. I would like to mention that most members of the family are also aging and located far from them and thus unable to give them the support that they need. It goes without saying that they are well loved and respected and would be frequently visited by all of us.

19. HUMAN SOCIATIC WELFARE ORGANISATION 2002 says:

We have an Old Age Home near Shyamchak, Kharagpur, Midnapur (W) (SABITA OLD AGE HOME).
    We are looking forward in taking care of the poor, downtroden and the older people (both male and female)
    We wish to provide them with regular medical check-ups, personal grooming, educational guidance for the young but poor.
    As it is obvious that in acheiving the said goal, we require a huge amount of funding. We have been trying our level best to cope up with our limited resorces. In acheiving the afforsaid goal, we require more funding from some kind hearted people.
    We would request to all those who feel that they would also like to be a part of our mission, they can mail us OR can call us at:
    ANINDITA BANERJEE (Secretary),
    hswo_2002@rediffmail.com
    09051347670,
    08017032665.

20. its a wonderful website in terms of providing a platform to many like me who want to be associated with the enriching experience of sharing some unforgettable moments with our elderly. really appreciate the attempt…keep it up!

21. Warren Bertram says:

I am looking for an email address for St Joseph’s Home, Kolkata. I should like to talk to them about admission for my elderly aunt, living at the moment in Elliott Road, Kolkata. It is a matter of some urgency.
    Warren Bertram

22. Gita Chatterjee says:

I Gita Chatterjee (Age-72 years), widow pensioners, want to stay in a Old Home near 24 Parganas (north). Please help me.

23. Hi
    I would like to talk to Ishita di. I too am interested in a project like this and maybe we could join hands and help out.

Take care

Baishali

24. Gautam Chowdhury says:

Plz. Request to government on implementation for National policy for senior citizens,1999 read as 2011

25. Old age home in kolkata, south bengal, bolpur, santiniketan

26. Kamlesh Jha says:

I am planning of opening an old age home and would like to run and administer the same through the persons staying there. Of course under the supervision of a governing body. If persons aged 60 and above are interested to join the cause they may come up with plans and proposals.
    We would further like to hear from like minded professional person like doctors who can come forward for serving them regularly.
    Of course we look forward to financial assistance which shall help serve better and provide comfort & amenities to the concerned persons.
    Help me to accomplish the task!

27. Though I am 73,having enough physical fitness to manage any organization/project.
    I was in Management of construction project s for over 15 years (Sahara India Housing,etc) before that I was in the Middle east ( Qatar,KSA :4 yrs) and with the GOI (GSI) 21 years,as a Surveyor(Topographical/civil)) .Now I live in Pune,Maharastra.
    I would like to involve myself any Residential project for the aged.
    After visiting some Retirement Villages in South/West India,I have prepared a Project(Report) in the name of Vridhya Bandhu AbasYojana (VBA).We may have to form a “TRUST”.
    Thanks.

28. susmita khan says:

I want to engage myself as a social worker and to do something for the old people without any cost. So I want to attach with any old age home preferebly in North Kolkata.

29. Asok Biswas says:

I am a retired Bank employee.I am in search of a good quality Old Age Home/Retirement community Home near south Kolkta.I regularly visit National Library/Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture/Aurobinda Bhawan,so I prefer southern part of Kolkata.Kindly help me.